Skip to main content

My approach to batting in cricket

As a kid, when you pick up the bat and hit your first ball, it feels heavenly.  There won't be many kids who don't like batting.  However, when the kid starts growing up and starts playing well, expectations start growing from within the house & from coaches to perform.  Once this happens, I personally feel the joy of bat hitting the ball or just having fun playing the wonderful game somehow starts dimming.  

Disclaimer:  I am not a psychologist or a certified professional cricket coach.  All the tips below are from my experience of overcoming challenges during my life and almost all of them relate to how you face or react to a particular situation.

Here are my tips to approach batting:

1. Just enjoy the game
2. When you prepare to face the first ball, take a few deep breaths and release it slowly
3. You need to hear just dead air and your eyes focused towards the bowler
4. If you get beaten, repeat #2 and get ready again. If you do this, I guarantee you that the chirping of the fielders won't bother you one bit. You most likely will be able to drown that side show out.
5. This game cannot be played with the fear of getting out. Don't be afraid of failure. 
6. Your aim has to be to score runs potentially off every ball. Be a busy player. 
7. If the ball is good, a serious forward or back foot block is also a defensive aggressive shot.  Remember, as coaches we tell you that you need to have a solid defence?  This is why!
8.  A bowler hates when a batsman can easily negotiate a great ball with ease with solid defence, not just when he gets hits for boundaries.  Always remember this!
9. There will be times when you will get out early.  Remember, it's a game.  There will be other opportunities to score again. Focus on contributing with fielding and bowling. 
10. It's a team game so if your colleague is going strong at the other end, there is no shame in giving him strike often.  This also implies that your running between the wickets has to be strong.
11. Play to your strengths. If the ball is there is your area, you have to be confident to hit your shot.  Practice this shot(s) often in the nets, even if you fail a number of times initially.

I have learnt it the hard way that there is never a time when challenges won't be there.  It can be cricket, job, money, relationship or whatever.  Imagine a mind with thoughts going and coming, in and out, constantly.  Can you relax in such a situation?  With such a busy mind, forget playing cricket, you cannot even learn anything in school. 

I will keep repeating that when you go out to bat, have a Virender Sehwag like attitude.  Watch the ball and hit the ball.  Work on your strengths more and more.  If VVS Laxman would've played flick according to the MCC manual, he would not have been a great batsman.  He played to his strengths and could even flick Shane Warne leggie from outside off stump towards mid wicket. 

Keep a strong head on your shoulders that doesn't get fazed by adversities on the field. Being mentally strong is a key to performing in cricket.

Enjoy this wonderful game!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

English Vinglish - My Review

This movie looked very promising from the promos.  It seemed like this movie would be an uplifting one and after watching the movie, I can safely say that it was. This is a story about a woman, a housewife, a mother (Sridevi) who is constantly chided by her husband and her daughter for not being able to speak English.  She felt as if she is unable to please her close ones with what she does.  She runs a small catering business from home. One day, she gets a call from her sister in the US to visit her as she needed Sridevi's help for her daughter's marriage.  Sridevi would have to go alone to a foreign land (her close ones would be coming late). She is dreading her visit to US alone since she does not know English. Once in the US, she is not able to communicate and gets a bit disheartened by it.  Once while visiting a place in New York, she saw an advertisement on a bus about learning English in 4 weeks.  She quietly decides to join these classes wi...

India Vs USA

I have been meaning to write on this topic for a while. Ever since I arrived to USA for my undergraduate studies, I have heard arguments between Indians born in the US about what is bad about India and Indians living in India who find bad things, or things they can laugh about and point to say that people are the same everywhere. Having been in the US and India almost an equal amount, my thinking is a bit different on this. I am more indian as far as thinking is concerned i.e. more social, less win at all costs etc. type of thinking. So, my thinking follows the perspective of those Indians living in India. My brother(s) waste no time in telling me how this or that is not right in the USA. Admittedly, that is true. You can always find things that are not good in the US. However, one thing we Indians should keep in mind is that there are a lot of things in India we need to fix first. For example, when we are in India, we keep our house clean but when we are out, we throw garbage o...

Itching to move out

For the past few weeks, I have been itching to move out of Bangalore to may be a place like Ahmedabad. Bangalore has the most beautiful weather but it also has its mix of traffic, chaos and the like. Having lived away from Gujarat for so long (~25 years now), it seems like I want to go back and live there again. Those familiar sounds of the language of Gujarati coupled with sweet smell of fafda, jalebi, undhiu, khandvi and a chance to be close to my parents and my brother's family are probably are forcing me to think in this way. After being away from family for so long, in a way, I seem o be craving to live with them one more time. I don't know whether this desire is good or bad but it is there and I am just acknowledging it. I also long to be close to an ashram where I can go study Vedanta. "Who am I?" is a question I want to experience in this life time. Yes, I have jumped topics but then these are random thoughts. :)